Welcome to SPCodex
The Smashing Pumpkins wiki
Help us build the world's largest knowledge base for The Smashing Pumpkins and related acts!
Look to the Sky is the second solo album from James Iha, released on March 14, 2012 in Japan, and released globally the following September. It featured many guest collaborations, including Karen O and Nick Zinner (Yeah Yeah Yeahs), Sara Quin (Tegan and Sara), Nathan Larson (Shudder To Think), Nina Persson (The Cardigans), Tom Verlaine (Television) and Mike Garson. "To Who Knows Where" acted as the lead single supporting the international release. The album received positive critical reviews, with Chicago Sun-Times writing "Iha shows up with this well-written, beautifully played set as a gentle reminder of his talent.".
"Where Boys Fear to Tread" is the opening track to the Dawn to Dusk half of Smashing Pumpkins' diamond-selling Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. The song samples an explosion sound from the computer video game Doom. It began with a 1993 Usenet joke where it was proposed that the next Doom computer game be called Smashing Pumpkins Into Small Piles Of Putrid Debris (SPISPOPD). The software company responded with adding the cheat code "idspispopd", and the Pumpkins nodded to it by sampling the explosion sound. "Where Boys Fear to Tread" was performed extensively during the Infinite Sadness tour and sporadically ever since, where it is sometimes titled "The Bomb" on the setlists.
- ...that the arrangements for TheFutureEmbrace followed an unusual process of splitting melodies into four parts based on their pitch, and the production team would program synths in each voicing and combine them into a multitrack recording?
- ...that a cheat code in the game Doom is a reference to a 1993 Usenet joke called Smashing Pumpkins Into Small Piles Of Putrid Debris (SPISPOPD), and this is reason the Doom explosion sound was sampled in "Where Boys Fear to Tread"?
- ...that the cost of recording Siamese Dream was $250,000 over budget? Virgin Records grew impatient with the costs and being behind schedule, but the band refused to cut corners if it meant they had to compromise the sound.
- ...that the guitar solo on "Siva" is the band's first use of the Big Muff pedal that was famously used on Siamese Dream?
- ...that The Smashing Pumpkins single "Untitled" was chosen to be the end credit song for Shrek, but the offer was withdrawn and given to Smash Mouth instead?
February 21, 2024
- Billy Corgan and the NWA announce a streaming deal with The CW which is to include a new unscripted, untitled series about Corgan’s life, family, role as President of NWA, and his 'day job'. The series will premier later this year.
January 27, 2024
January 24, 2024
January 19, 2024
Today in history February 25
- 2009: Bonus EP was released in Worldwide (Digital)
- 2014: Good Soldier by Sierra Swan was released in the US (CD, LP, Digital)