|Video release by|
|Released||November 28, 2017|
|Director||Linda Strawberry, Billy Corgan|
|Producer||Mercedes Bryce Morgan|
Pillbox (or Pillbox: No Hero Dies Twice) is a short film written by Billy Corgan and sound tracked by his second solo album, Ogilala. The film was directed by Corgan and Linda Strawberry. It premiered in London on October 5, 2017 followed by showing in select theaters in the US, before being released in full to YouTube on November 28, 2017.
|“||I thought it was a different approach to listening to an album, to watch it in essence with a related, albeit non-linear, silent movie. Art is art. And together the two pieces create a work unto itself.||”|
|— Billy Corgan|
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
The film tells the story of a young man named Harry Holmes who was enlisted to war. Consequently him and his partner are forced to separate. Eventually wounded, he finds himself in a "psychedelic fantasyland" where encounters a king and his subjects. After insulting the king, the wounded solider is banished with a blind eye and sent on a wayward voyage through a surreal landscape in search of redemption and his home.
Showings[edit | edit source]
|October 5, 2017||London, UK||Billy Corgan|
|October 9, 2017||Los Angeles, CA, US||Linda Strawberry, select cast members|
|October 11, 2017||Chicago, IL, US||Billy Corgan, Linda Strawberry|
|October 12, 2017||New York, NY, US||Billy Corgan, Linda Strawberry|
Critical reception[edit | edit source]
Rolling Stone called it a "kaleidoscopic and psychedelic 40-minute silent film", while Spling Movies wrote that "the styling is artistic yet camp and stagy as the curious fable plays out against Corgan’s stripped down album turned soundtrack", adding that it "manages to fascinate with its careful composition, ever-changing retro style, Wes Anderson appetite and enchanting spiritual component."
Videos[edit | edit source]
Track listing[edit | edit source]
All tracks are written by Billy Corgan.
|5.||"The Long Goodbye"||2:43|
|6.||"Half-Life of an Autodidact"||3:27|
Release[edit | edit source]
|Released||Label||Catalog ID||Format||Country||External sites|
|November 28, 2017||Self-released • Coloma Productions||Digital||Worldwide|||
Personnel[edit | edit source]
Production[edit | edit source]
- Billy Corgan – writer, director, piano, guitars, vocals
- Linda Strawberry – director, art direction, editing, coloring
- Mercedes Bryce Morgan – producer
- Josh Epstein – production manager
- Daria Hlazatova – illustrations
- Alex Pollini – photography direction
- Candi Guterres – production designer
- Kit Scarbo – costume designer
- Laney Chantal – makeup
Cast[edit | edit source]
- Harry Holmes – actor
- Kai Quartley – actor
- Anna Steers – actor
- Kalpana Pot – actor
- Ike Catcher – actor
- Hardeep Manak – actor
- Los Angela – actor
- Paul Seroka – actor
- Amelya Hensley – actor
- Django Stewart – actor
- Brett Grace – actor
- Annie Hsu – actor
- Kate Crash – actor
- Sarabeth Stroller – actor
- Jules Wood – actor
- Sophia Park – actor
References[edit | edit source]
- Retting, James (September 20, 2017). "Watch The Trailer For Billy Corgan's New Short Film Pillbox". Seterogum. Retrieved August 17, 2023.
- "Movie Review: Pillbox". Spling Movies. Retrieved August 17, 2023.
- Blisten, Jon. "Watch Billy Corgan's Psychedelic Silent Film 'Pillbox'". Rolling Stone. Retrieved August 17, 2023.