Welcome to SPCodex
The Smashing Pumpkins wiki
Help us build the world's largest knowledge base for The Smashing Pumpkins and related acts!
Oceania is the eighth studio album from The Smashing Pumpkins, released in June 2012. Produced by Billy Corgan and Bjorn Thorsrud, the album forms part of the band's 34-track project album, Teargarden by Kaleidyscope. Corgan said the album is partly about "people struggling to find a social identity in today's fast-paced, technology-rich culture", adding "I think alienation seems to be the key theme – alienation in love and alienation in culture". The album peaked at #4 on the Billboard 200 and #1 on the Independent Albums chart. A live performance of the album, Oceania: Live in NYC, was released in September, 2013.
"Stand Inside Your Love" is the second single and lead international single from 2000's Machina/The Machines of God. At the time, Corgan called it the only "true" love song he'd ever written. He told VH1 Storytellers, "'Stand Inside Your Love' is one of those rare songs that seems to write itself really quickly... As far as the song goes, it's sort of a love song that rocks, which is pretty rare, even for me." The single's cover depicted the alchemical androgyne, a significant symbolic representation within alchemy, which basically represents the perfect union between man and woman when joined as a single entity. "Stand Inside Your Love" charted in at least 8 countries and peaked at #2 on the Alternative Songs chart.
- ...that the arrangements for TheFutureEmbrace followed an unusual process of splitting melodies into four parts based on their pitch, and the production team would program synths in each voicing and combine them into a multitrack recording?
- ...that "Thru the Eyes of Ruby" contains approximately 70 guitar tracks, while "To Forgive" consists of only one live guitar take?
- ...the drowning Statue of Liberty on the Zeitgeist cover was meant to portray global warming and the eminent demise of many founding United States ideals? There are six editions of the album in different colors and with varying bonus tracks.
- ...that a live recording of the first show as a full band was given away for free at the last show (pre-2007), both at the same venue?
- ...that a music video was recorded for "I Am One" in 1992, but because the band was unhappy with the results, it wasn't released until 2001 on the Greatest Hits Video Collection?
September 25, 2020
- The Smashing Pumpkins release "Confessions of a Dopamine Addict" and "Wrath" to streaming services.
- The Smashing Pumpkins release episodes 1 and 2 of the In Ashes animation series
- Jimmy Chamberlin Complex release the five-song EP, Honor
September 24, 2020
- Part 1 of the 25th anniversary of Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness begins with SP's collaboration with HUF. Most items sell out within hours and the site crashes from the surge of traffic.
September 18, 2020