Welcome to SPCodex
The Smashing Pumpkins wiki
Help us build the world's largest knowledge base for The Smashing Pumpkins and related acts!
The Aeroplane Flies High is a five-disc box set released in 1996, containing expanded versions of all five Mellon Collie singles. Rolling Stone wrote "There is no filler here. These supposedly second-string tracks [to Mellon Collie] are keepers" and that "the ballads are as gorgeous as anything Corgan has ever written". The 2013 reissue delivered an astounding 90 additional tracks and a bonus DVD. The box reached number 42 on the Billboard charts, and sold 300,000 units (1.5 million discs), generating a platinum status.
"X.Y.U." is one of the heaviest songs from The Smashing Pumpkins' third studio album, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. The song was recorded in one take, live for the record with drum and vocal overdubs added later. The title means "Ex, Why You?", but is also a play on the spelling of Russian obscene word "хуй" (pronounced "hu:i") that is translated as "penis". Other versions of the song exists, such as "X.Y.U. (Take II)", and the extended "X.Y.U. Medley" performed on October 31, 1998 which bundled in teasers of "The Ethers Tragic", "Where Boys Fear to Tread" and "Never Say Never" (by Romeo Void).
- ...that the Mellon Collie sessions were The Smashing Pumpkins' first to use computer technology. Pro Tools was ran on a Macintosh 8100, which has less computing power than mobile phones have today.
- ...that Corgan originally intended for "Jellybelly" to be the first single from Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness?
- ...that a cheat code in the game Doom is a reference to a 1993 Usenet joke called Smashing Pumpkins Into Small Piles Of Putrid Debris (SPISPOPD), and this is reason the Doom explosion sound was sampled in "Where Boys Fear to Tread"?
- ...that a music video was recorded for "I Am One" in 1992, but because the band was unhappy with the results, it wasn't released until 2001 on the Greatest Hits Video Collection?
- ...that Sharon Osbourne briefly managed The Smashing Pumpkins in late 1999?
December 19, 2020
- Billy Corgan announces the Machina remix project has completed, and only needs mastering and artwork.
December 17, 2020
- The Smashing Pumpkins announce the 7 Days of CYR-mas giveaway. Each day a new way to win free merch is announced.
December 11, 2020
December 3, 2020
- Billy Corgan pays tribute to Alice in Chains by covering "Check My Brain" for the MoPOP Founders Award 2020 benefit show.
November 27, 2020
Today in history
- 2018: The Parable was released in the US (CD, LP)
- 1992: (The Smashing Pumpkins) Vooruit; Ghent, BE
- 1996: (Pink Floyd featuring Billy Corgan) Waldorf Astoria; New York City, NY, US – Billy Corgan inducts Pink Floyd into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
- 1997: (The Smashing Pumpkins) Five Seasons Center; Cedar Rapids, IA, US
- 2000: (The Smashing Pumpkins) Canal+; Paris, FR – 'Nulle part ailleurs French TV program
- 2005: (Jimmy Chamberlin Complex) WFLD; Chicago, IL, US
- 2017: (Billy Corgan) ; Gainesville, FL, US