Welcome to SPCodex
The Smashing Pumpkins wiki
Help us build the world's largest knowledge base for The Smashing Pumpkins and related acts!
Peel Sessions is an EP from The Smashing Pumpkins, featuring songs recorded live on September 8, 1991 for John Peel's Radio 1 show, though minor overdubbing was later added. According to the Pisces Iscariot liner notes, the band was two hours late due to a technical misunderstanding, limiting the amount of material they were able to record. Three songs were recorded, including "Siva" and the previously unreleased songs "Girl Named Sandoz" and "Smiley". "Girl Named Sandoz" is a cover of The Animals, and is a reference to Sandoz Laboratories, where LSD was invented. The EP was released under Hut Records in the UK in June 1992.
At nearly 10 minutes duration, "Glass and the Ghost Children" is the longest track on The Smashing Pumpkins' fifth studio album, Machina/The Machines of God. The middle section features various clips from Machina II's "Le Deux Machina". Machina served as a concept album about rock star named Zero (based on the public persona of Billy Corgan) hearing the voice of God, renaming himself Glass, and renaming his band The Machines of God. Fans of the band were referred to as the "Ghost Children".
- ...that briefly there was belief that one of the girls on the cover of Siamese Dream was actually former bassist Nicole Fiorentino? The actual girls were later found and reunited in 2018.
- ...that the guitar solo on "Siva" is the band's first use of the Big Muff pedal that was famously used on Siamese Dream?
- ...that until the release of The Offspring album Smash in 1994, Gish was the best-selling independently released album of all time?
- ...that the original concept for the "Tonight, Tonight" video was for a Busby Berkeley theme, with "people diving into champagne glasses", but Red Hot Chili Peppers did a similar video for "Aeroplane", almost identical to what the band wanted to do?
- ...that Corgan originally intended for "Jellybelly" to be the first single from Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness?
July 31, 2022
- Billy Corgan makes a guest appearance on guitar (including a solo) during the Porno for Pyros set at Lollapalooza 2022.
July 14, 2022
- Billy Corgan and Chloe Mendel announce Together and Together Again: a concert at Madame ZuZu's on July 27, 2022 benefiting the Highland Park community in the wake of the Highland Park parade shooting. Corgan and Jimmy Chamberlin will be performing along with other members of the Pumpkins family.
July 13, 2022
- The Smashing Pumpkins host a giveaway for fan-submitted Siamese Dream cover art, with a randomly selected winner receiving two tickets to the Spirits On Fire tour. Submissions are accepted through July 26.
July 7, 2022
Today in history
- 1996: "Zero" was released in Japan (CD)
- 2011: The Sun Sessions by Sierra Swan was released in the US (Digital, CD)
- 2020: "Humility" by Jimmy Chamberlin Complex was released
- 1991: (The Smashing Pumpkins) The Masquerade (Atlanta); Atlanta, GA, US
- 1993: (The Smashing Pumpkins) Phoenix Center; Pontiac, MI, US
- 2000: (The Smashing Pumpkins) Saskatchewan Place; Saskatoon, SK, CA – Summersault 2000 festival
- 2005: (Jimmy Chamberlin) Brentwood Centre; Romford, UK
- 2008: (The Smashing Pumpkins) Adler Theater; Davenport, IA, US
- 2010: (The Smashing Pumpkins) Chiba Marine Stadium; Chiba, JP [Summer Sonic Festival]
- 2015: (The Smashing Pumpkins) FirstMerit Bank Pavilion; Chicago, IL, US
- 2018: (The Smashing Pumpkins) Centre Bell; Montreal, QC, CA
- 2019: (The Smashing Pumpkins) Ed Sullivan Theater; New York, NY, US – The Late Show with Stephen Colbert