Welcome to SPCodex
The Smashing Pumpkins wiki
Help us build the world's largest knowledge base for The Smashing Pumpkins and related acts!
Look to the Sky is the second solo album from James Iha, released on March 14, 2012 in Japan, and released globally the following September. It featured many guest collaborations, including Karen O and Nick Zinner (Yeah Yeah Yeahs), Sara Quin (Tegan and Sara), Nathan Larson (Shudder To Think), Nina Persson (The Cardigans), Tom Verlaine (Television) and Mike Garson. "To Who Knows Where" acted as the lead single supporting the international release. The album received positive critical reviews, with Chicago Sun-Times writing "Iha shows up with this well-written, beautifully played set as a gentle reminder of his talent.".
"Ava Adore" is the first Smashing Pumpkins single from their fourth album, Adore, and exhibited a new sound from the band which integrated traditional instruments with loops and electronic music. The music video was filmed in one long take and is notable for its cinematic motion changes. The calculations required to work out the speed changes caused massive delays on set, causing the band to nearly call off the entire plan. It went on to win an award for "most stylish video" at the 1998 VH1 Fashion Awards. "Ava Adore" reached at #1 in Iceland and #2 in Greece, and in the US it peaked at #42 on the Billboard Hot 100 and at #3 on the Modern Rock Tracks chart.
- ...that the Pumpkins' July 17, 1998 performance was a free show that drew upwards of 125,000 fans, and that the mayor declared July 17 "Smashing Pumpkins Day"?
- ...that former touring Smashing Pumpkins guitarist Mark Stoermer was an additional executive producer on the live action music video for "Wyttch"?
- ...that Sharon Osbourne briefly managed The Smashing Pumpkins in late 1999?
- ...that Matt Sweeney's (of Zwan) former band Skunk helped inspire the composition that became "Frail and Bedazzled"?
- ...that a cheat code in the game Doom is a reference to a 1993 Usenet joke called Smashing Pumpkins Into Small Piles Of Putrid Debris (SPISPOPD), and this is reason the Doom explosion sound was sampled in "Where Boys Fear to Tread"?
May 12, 2022
- Billy Corgan, Jimmy Chamberlin and Jeff Schroeder become the second rock band to ever have their handprints added to the cement outside the famous Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood. James Iha was not feeling well and was unable to make the ceremony.
May 11, 2022
- The Smashing Pumpkins announce the autumn 2022 Spirits On Fire tour with Jane's Addiction on The Howard Stern Show.
April 30, 2022
April 25, 2022
April 20, 2022
Today in history
- 1998: "Ava Adore" was released in the US (CD) and the UK & Europe (CD)
- 1998: (The Smashing Pumpkins) Palais des Festivals; Cannes, FR [Cannes Film Festival]
- 2002: (Zwan) Hollywood Casino Amphitheatre; Tinley Park, IL, US [Q101 Jamboree festival] – Q101 Jamboree; Marianne Faithfull sings "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face"
- 2005: (Jimmy Chamberlin Complex) Sanctuary; San Antonio, TX, US
- 2006: (Alice In Chains featuring Billy Corgan) Roxy Theatre; West Hollywood, CA, US – Billy Corgan guest appearance at Alice in Chains tour-opening concert.
- 2013: (The Smashing Pumpkins) Columbus Crew Stadium; Columbus, OH, US [Rock on the Range festival]
- 2020: (Billy Corgan) (unknown venue) (unknown location), US – The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
- 2022: (The Smashing Pumpkins) Ozarks Amphitheater; Camdenton, MO, US