Welcome to SPCodex
The Smashing Pumpkins wiki
Help us build the world's largest knowledge base for The Smashing Pumpkins and related acts!
Gish is the debut studio album by The Smashing Pumpkins. Frontman Billy Corgan has variously described Gish as a "very spiritual album" and "an album about spiritual ascension". Gish received positive reviews from critics, and was eventually certified platinum (one million copies shipped) by the RIAA. On April 1, 2019 Rolling Stone magazine ranked Gish the 32nd greatest grunge album of all time.
At nearly 10 minutes duration, "Glass and the Ghost Children" is the longest track on The Smashing Pumpkins' fifth studio album, Machina/The Machines of God. The middle section features various clips from Machina II's "Le Deux Machina". Machina served as a concept album about rock star named Zero (based on the public persona of Billy Corgan) hearing the voice of God, renaming himself Glass, and renaming his band The Machines of God. Fans of the band were referred to as the "Ghost Children".
- ...that the renowned Gish guitar (stolen in 1991 and returned to Corgan 27 years later), was sold to Corgan by Jimmy Chamberlin, even though it wasn't his to sell?
- ...that Billy Corgan briefly worked with basketball superstar and rapper Shaquille O'Neal? Corgan began work on a track loosely inspired by Dr. Dre, but the collaboration fell through. The drumbeats that survived were used in "Eye", which appeared on the Lost Highway soundtrack.
- ...that Gish was named after silent film icon Lillian Gish? In an interview, Corgan said his grandmother told him "one of the biggest things that ever happened was when Lillian Gish rode through town on a train".
- ...that The Smashing Pumpkins contributed to a various artists compilation album that parodied the hideous 70's and 80's K-tel compilations? Each participating band was to cover an obscure 70s song. The Pumpkins went with "Jackie Blue" by Ozark Mountain Daredevils.
- ...that months prior to Zeitgeist's release, two thieves broke into the band's rehearsal space, stole photographs of the album booklet artwork and leaked them online? They were arrested by Chicago Police and charged with felony burglary.
November 24, 2020
- The animated music video for "Wyttch" is released, serving as the fourth episode of the In Ashes series.
November 21, 2020
November 20, 2020
- The Smashing Pumpkins release the final single from CYR, "Purple Blood" with "Dulcet in E" as the backing track.
November 13, 2020
October 30, 2020