"Daydream" is a song from The Smashing Pumpkins's debut studio album, Gish. It is the only Pumpkins song to entirely feature D'Arcy Wretzky on lead vocals. The song actually ends at the 1:56 mark, followed by the hidden track "I'm Going Crazy" which starts at 2:07.
||An oath in neon blue. One last simple thought to share. The other voice sings the song because the voice is prettier, more cold and far away. It's a beautiful dream but we know it ain't gonna happen; who are we fooling here? Still, it's nice to hum along. A husband and wife descend from the heavens to play the last little coda. They do not wear white. Our first encounter with the other way.
|— Billy Corgan, Gish 2011 re-issue liner notes
A live version of "Daydream", with Billy Corgan on vocals, appears on the single for the 2007 song "That's the Way (My Love Is)".
Corgan has stated the song draws influence from My Bloody Valentine.
- At the 1:10 mark, you can hear a click from the cello player's bow hitting the wood of his cello.
- At 1:20-21, you can hear jingly noises, which is probably someone's bracelet.
my daydream seems as one inside of you
though it seems hard to reach through this light
your blue and hopeless light
my daydream screams 'bitter 'til the end'
the love i share, true
but selfish to the heart
my heart, my sacred heart
- Total plays: 52 plays (39 full, 13 tease), 26 acoustic, 1 piano, 2 artists
- First performance: The Smashing Pumpkins 1992-07-23 at Metro, Chicago, IL, US
- Last performance: Billy Corgan 2017-09-17 at Madame ZuZu's, Highland Park, IL, US