|Single by The Smashing Pumpkins|
|Released||September 15, 2012|
|Producer(s)||Billy Corgan, Bjorn Thorsrud|
|The Smashing Pumpkins singles chronology|
Background and recording[edit | edit source]
In an interview with MusicRadar, Corgan stated, "It's similar to Quasar in that we had the opening riff and didn't know what to do with it. It sat for a while, but everybody felt strongly about it. It had a, dare I say, 'modern-feeling' to it, but still in the style of guitar that I like to play. Ultimately, I just sat down and wrote the song on the piano. Sometimes, when you've got a riffy song, it helps to just play the chords with no rhythm, and then you hear the 'song' in it. It's those very Paul McCartney/Wings-type chords – Broadway-type chords. What I'm most proud of from a songwriting standpoint is how it goes from D major to A minor. It goes from a very 'majorly' feel into something sorrowful, almost a Spanish feel. I don't know how the heck I did that, but it's one of my favorite things in the song, how you can keep the key but change the emotion."
Corgan used a Kimberly Bison guitar (nicknamed "Kimberly Kay") in the recording.
Reception[edit | edit source]
NME described the song as "elegant and dreamy". Consequence of Sound declared that it was "heroic". Spin magazine's review of Oceania focused on Byrne's drumming on Panopticon, stating "the impressive, tom-heavy rumble of "Panopticon" quickly asserts his lithe, explosive, decidedly Jimmy Chamberlain-esque ferocity, a deft balance of muscle and sinew." Artistdirect also emphasized Byrne's contribution by describing his drumming as "flawless percussive propulsion".
The Seattle Post-Intelligencer noted Nicole Fiorentino's "highly musical bass lines".
Release[edit | edit source]
|September 15, 2012||Martha's Music • Prospect Park||CD||US|||
|Oceania: Live in NYC||Live • Video|
- Total plays:
- First performance: The Smashing Pumpkins 2010-07-17 at Music Farm, Charleston, SC, US (soundcheck)
- Last performance: The Smashing Pumpkins 2013-08-04 at Circus, Helsinki, FI
References[edit | edit source]
- "90's Alternative Rock News » Blog Archive » SMASHING PUMPKINS RELEASE 'PANOPTICON' AS SECOND OCEANIA SINGLE". GrungeReport.net. September 14, 2012. Retrieved September 20, 2012.
- "New SMASHING PUMPKINS Single "Panopticon" Arrives on Radio; Tour Kicks Off in October". tunes.broadwayworld.com. February 13, 2012. Retrieved September 20, 2012.
- Joe Bosso (June 13, 2012). "Interview: Billy Corgan talks The Smashing Pumpkins' Oceania track-by-track | MusicRadar". Beta.musicradar.com. Retrieved September 20, 2012.
- "NME Album Reviews - Smashing Pumpkins - 'Oceania'". Nme.Com. June 12, 2012. Retrieved October 18, 2012.
- "Album Review: Smashing Pumpkins – Oceania". Consequence of Sound. June 19, 2012. Retrieved October 18, 2012.
- "Smashing Pumpkins, 'Oceania' (Martha's Music/EMI)". June 12, 2012. Retrieved November 2, 2019.
- "The Smashing Pumpkins "Oceania" Album Review — 5 out of 5 stars - ARTISTdirect News". Artistdirect.com. Retrieved October 18, 2012.
- Doherty, Charlie (June 29, 2012). "Music Review: The Smashing Pumpkins - Oceania". seattlepi.com. Retrieved October 18, 2012.