|Studio album by|
|Released||June 19, 2012|
|Studio sessions||May-September 2011 – Pumpkinland II|
|Label||EMI, Caroline Distribution, Reprise, Martha's Music|
|Producer||Billy Corgan, Bjorn Thorsrud|
|The Smashing Pumpkins chronology|
|Singles from Oceania|
Oceania is the eighth studio album by The Smashing Pumpkins, released on June 19, 2012, through EMI, Reprise Records and Martha's Music. Produced by Billy Corgan and Bjorn Thorsrud, the album forms part of the band's 34-track project album, Teargarden by Kaleidyscope. By September 2012, Oceania had sold over 102,000 copies in the US.
Background and recording[edit | edit source]
On April 26, 2011, in a video on the band's Facebook fan page, frontman Billy Corgan announced plans to release Oceania as "an album within an album," relating to Teargarden by Kaleidyscope which involved releasing songs one by one, for free on the Internet from late 2009, and then releasing them in EPs – after claiming that albums are a dead medium. While Oceania may appear to contradict that, Corgan explains:
"I still stand by my view that I don't think albums are particularly relevant at this time. That may change. But as far as making music...from a writing point of view, it's really going to focus me to put a group of songs together that are supposed to go together."
Corgan later admitted that they switched back to the album format because he "...reached a point where I saw that the one-song-at-a-time idea had maxed itself out...I just saw we weren't getting the penetration in to everybody that I would have hoped."
The band finished mixing the album on September 18, 2011.
Oceania was the first full-length album recorded with guitarist Jeff Schroeder, and the only album recorded with drummer Mike Byrne and bassist Nicole Fiorentino. The band was supplemented in-studio by an unnamed session keyboardist. Fiorentino had this to say about her role in recording Oceania:
"I think because we are all working together on this record it is naturally going to have a different vibe than any of the other records on which Billy played most of the instruments himself. I think we delved into new territory for sure, but what I love about this record is that it has that familiar old-school Pumpkins feel to it, with a modern twist. The cool thing is he was able to capture the energy of the old material without ripping it off. Billy's definitely found his way back to whatever he was tapping into when writing Gish and Siamese Dream."
Guitarist Jeff Schroeder also hinted that the album may be less heavy than past albums, stating "In this day and age, with what's going on politically and socially, it just feels right to play something that's a little more spacey and dreamy. We want music to move people on an emotional level."
In November 2011, the album's release date was pushed back to spring 2012 and announced via Twitter.
Corgan has said that Oceania is the Pumpkins' "best effort since Mellon Collie". Comparing it to his previous works, he said, "it is the first time where you actually hear me escape the old band. I'm not reacting against it or for it or in the shadow of it." 
Writing and composition[edit | edit source]
In describing Oceania's theme, Billy Corgan said the album is partly about "people struggling to find a social identity in today's fast-paced, technology-rich culture", adding "I think alienation seems to be the key theme – alienation in love and alienation in culture," he says.
Regarding the album's lyrical content, Corgan noted "If you listen to the lyrics, it was written around some serious relationship strife. When somebody breaks your heart, you can choose to accept, embrace, and forgive them, as opposed to condemn them. I got a few albums out of [sic] condemn! Now I'm working on compassion as a device."
Release and promotion[edit | edit source]
The album was tentatively scheduled to be released on September 1, 2011, but the release date was pushed to June 19, 2012. On March 27, 2012, EMI/Caroline Distribution announced that it has entered into an exclusive agreement with Martha's Music to release the album on June 19, 2012. In late May 2012, the band announced that they were holding an event called "Imagine Oceania", requesting fans to take and submit their own photos for the album. On June 12, the album was made available to stream in full via iTunes. The album also became available for full streaming on Spotify, SoundCloud, Spinner, and Ustream. Corgan appeared on The Howard Stern Show on June 19, performing an acoustic version of "Tonight, Tonight". Howard Stern interviewed Corgan for more than an hour and premiered "Violet Rays" from the album. On June 21, 2012, "The Celestials" was released as the album's first single. They performed the song on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno on August 23, 2012. "Panopticon" was released as the second single on September 15, 2012. In 2014, the song "My Love is Winter" was featured on the soundtrack for the video game Watch Dogs.
The album cover features the North Shore Sanitary District Tower in Highland Park, Illinois, photographed by Richard Shay.
Reception[edit | edit source]
|Consequence of Sound|||
According to Billboard, the album in its first week of release sold 54,000 copies in the US, debuted at number four on the Billboard 200 chart and at number one on the Independent Albums chart — making it the band's seventh top 10 album to date. The album has received generally positive reviews, with many reviewers finding Oceania to be a return to form for Corgan. On Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, the album has received thus far an average score of 72, indicating "generally favorable reviews". RedEye gave the album three stars out of four, saying "Oceania, the first full-length Pumpkins album since 2007's Zeitgeist, is the best thing Corgan and Co. have produced in quite some time. Longtime fans will hear hints of the grungy, vicious band of the Gish era and also the mellow, almost pop Adore era. It's a mix that works." Antiquiet gave album four out of five stars and called it "best Corgan work in a decade". Gigwise gave the album four stars out of five and praised its production and themes. Toronto Sun gave the album four stars out of five, saying "With Billy Corgan, bigger is better. And his latest project—the ongoing 44-song Teargarden by Kaleidyscope—is his most ambitious since 2000's Machina. In keeping, this 'album-within-an-album' bears all the classic Pumpkins hallmarks: Searing guitars and busy drums, epic songs and complex arrangements, wistful romanticism and bombastic grandeur. His best work in years."
PopMatters gave the album seven out of 10 stars, describing the album as "...a spinoff that doesn't hold the brilliance of an original, but is charismatic in its own right. A more grown-up manifestation of the adolescent self-obsessed gloomy beginnings." BBC gave the album a positive review, saying "On Oceania Smashing Pumpkins sound energised and alive." About.com gave the album four stars out of five, saying "Corgan has claimed that friends who had heard Oceania had claimed it was his best since Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. Time will tell, but for now it's clear that Oceania is the first Smashing Pumpkins record since then to fully stimulate the senses and stir the heart." AllMusic gave the album four out of five stars, saying "On Oceania there are some of the most memorable and rousing songs Corgan has delivered since 1993's Siamese Dream". ARTISTdirect gave the album a five out of five stars, saying "Oceania is the year's best rock record and a milestone for the genre. Hopefully, it incites and inspires a new generation. The Pumpkins are no strangers to that concept..." Ology gave the album a B+, stating it is "...simply a really good new album, one that deserves to be referenced and included in the company of the classic Smashing Pumpkins albums it delightfully demonstrates little interest in resembling." The Chicago Sun-Times gave the album four out of four stars, saying "this album within an album revives Corgan's gutter-epic vision with a clarity and ferocity not seen since 1995's Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness." Daily Express gave the album four out of five stars, saying "Oceania is Corgan on especially potent form". Sputnikmusic gave the album four out of five stars, saying "SP have forged ahead to create a record that could well be the catalyst of a stellar second era for one of rock's more interesting groups".
Stereogum gave album a positive review, calling it a return to form. USA Today gave the album 3.5 out of four stars, praising the production and song writing. The A.V. Club gave the album a B and called it "a solid start to a new Smashing Pumpkins era". The Daily Nebraskan gave the album A− and called it "one of this years best rock records". Consequence of Sound gave the album four out of five stars and called it "best Corgan work in a long time". Spin gave a rating of 7 out of 10, declaring that it is "easily Corgan's best work since his rat-in-a-cage heyday." The Seattle Post-Intelligencer scored the album with 4.5 out of five stars, stating it "is full of winners." The album was listed at #48 on Rolling Stone's list of the top 50 albums of 2012, saying "The most recent dispatch from whatever far-off planet Billy Corgan currently resides on is the finest slab of cosmic prog he's thrown down since the Pumpkins' early-Nineties heyday."
Track listing[edit | edit source]All tracks are written by Billy Corgan.
|5.||"My Love Is Winter"||3:32|
|6.||"One Diamond, One Heart"||3:50|
Release history[edit | edit source]
|Released||Label||Catalog ID||Format||Country||External sites|
|June 19, 2012||Martha's Music||MM 001 • 818610010001||CD||US|||
|June 19, 2012||Martha's Music||MM 002 • 818610010018||2LP||US|||
|June 19, 2012||Martha's Music||818610010094||Digital||Worldwide|||
Personnel[edit | edit source]
The Smashing Pumpkins
Charts[edit | edit source]
|Australian Albums (ARIA)||8|
|Austrian Albums (Ö3 Austria)||25|
|Belgian Albums (Ultratop Flanders)||25|
|Belgian Albums (Ultratop Wallonia)||27|
|Canadian Albums (Billboard)||4|
|Croatian International Albums (HDU)||34|
|Danish Albums (Hitlisten)||30|
|Dutch Albums (Album Top 100)||34|
|Finnish Albums (Suomen virallinen lista)||33|
|French Albums (SNEP)||33|
|German Albums (Offizielle Top 100)||36|
|Irish Albums (IRMA)||24|
|Italian Albums (FIMI)||15|
|Japan Albums (Oricon)||26|
|New Zealand Albums (RMNZ)||9|
|Portuguese Albums (AFP)||16|
|Spanish Albums (PROMUSICAE)||36|
|Swedish Albums (Sverigetopplistan)||49|
|Swiss Albums (Swiss Hitparade)||19|
|UK Albums (OCC)||19|
|US Billboard 200||4|
|US Rock (Billboard)||2|
|US Alternative Albums (Billboard)||2|
|US Independent Albums (Billboard)||1|
References[edit | edit source]
- Sterdan, Darryl. "Pumpkins, Apple top CD reviews | Music | Entertainment". Toronto Sun. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- "Smashing Pumpkins: Oceania". American Songwriter. July 10, 2012. Retrieved November 2, 2019.
- Feldman, Max (June 17, 2012). "The Smashing Pumpkins - Oceania (take 2)". PopMatters. Retrieved October 19, 2015.
- "Billy Corgan Details 'Unique' New Pumpkins LP". SPIN.com. 2011-09-23. Retrieved 2012-01-04.
- Smashing Pumpkins Unveil Album Cover for Oceania. Press release. 2012-04-30.
- Graff, Gary. "Smashing Pumpkins 'Writing Songs for a New Album,' Corgan Says". Billboard. Retrieved September 6, 2012.
- "Smashing Pumpkins Prepping Concert Film, Live Album". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2015-03-15.
- Perpetua, Matthew. "Smashing Pumpkins Announce Reissues, New Album". Rolling Stone. Retrieved April 26, 2011.
- Bosso, Joe. "Interview: Billy Corgan talks Smashing Pumpkins reissues, new studio album". musicradar.com. Retrieved April 26, 2011.
- Graff, Gary (2011-09-26). "Smashing Pumpkins' Large-Scale Release Ideas Are 'Maxed Out'". Billboard. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- "Blog Archive » Smashing Pumpkins Finish New Album Oceania, Album May Be Online In November". GrungeReport.net. 2011-09-18. Retrieved 2011-09-23.
- "Billy Corgan Smashes Back Archived 2012-10-05 at the w:Wayback Machine". MSN Music. 2012-06-19.
- Farmakalidis, A. (2011-10-01). "Bass Musician Magazine Featuring Smashing Pumpkins Bass Player Nicole Fiorentino". Bass Musician Magazine. Retrieved 2011-10-04.
- "November Issue: Smashing Pumpkins Guitarist Jeff Schroeder Rocks the Books". iamkoream. Retrieved 2011-11-23.
- Badra, Cat (2011-11-03). "Smashing Pumpkins Move Back Oceania Release to Spring 2012". Audio Ink Radio. Retrieved 2011-11-23.
- "Smashing Pumpkins' Billy Corgan: Oceania is our best album for 16 years'". NME. 2011-12-18. Retrieved 2012-01-23.
- McDaniel, Ferris (2012-07-07). "Billy Corgan has a Smashing story". The Desert Sun. Retrieved 2012-07-10.
- Grant, Sarah (2012-09-10). "Interview: Billy Corgan (of Smashing Pumpkins)". Consequence of Sound. Retrieved 2012-09-11.
- Kot, Greg (April 26, 2011). "Smashing Pumpkins announce new album, extensive reissues". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved April 26, 2011.
- Pelly, Jenn (2012-03-27). "Smashing Pumpkins Ready New Album". Pitchfork. Pitchfork Media Inc. Retrieved 2012-03-29.
- "The Smashing Pumpkins to release new studio album 'Oceania' release on June 18". EMI Music. Archived from the original on 2012-05-03. Retrieved 2012-03-30.
- Maloney, Devon (May 30, 2012). "Smashing Pumpkins Ask Fans to Imagine What a 'Glissandra' Looks Like". Spin. Retrieved May 30, 2012.
- "Blog Archive » Smashing Pumpkins To Stream New Album 'Oceania' On Itunes Next Week". GrungeReport.net. 2012-06-07. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- Dempster, Michael. "Billy Corgan Returns". howardstern.com. June 19, 2012.
- Doherty, Charlie (2012-06-29). "Music Review: The Smashing Pumpkins – Oceania". Blogcritics. Archived from the original on 2013-04-14. Retrieved 2012-07-04.
- "Smashing Pumpkins To Perform On Jay Leno This Week". RTTNews. Retrieved November 2, 2019.
- Buchanan, Brett (2012-09-14). "Smashing Pumpkins Release 'Panopticon' As Second Oceania Single - Alternativenation.Net". Grungereport.net. Retrieved 2015-03-15.
- "Watch Dogs Soundtrack List". Gamersheroes.com. 2014-05-27. Retrieved 2015-03-15.
- "Oceania by The Smashing Pumpkins reviews | Any Decent Music". AnyDecentMusic?. Retrieved 20 May 2019.
- "Oceania Reviews, Ratings, Credits, and More at Metacritic". Metacritic. Retrieved 11 July 2012.
- "Smashing Pumpkins – Oceania Review". Rock.about.com. 2012-06-19. Retrieved 2012-08-15.
- Collar, Matt. "Oceania – Smashing Pumpkins : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- "The Smashing Pumpkins "Oceania" Album Review – 5 out of 5 stars – ARTISTdirect News". Artistdirect.com. Retrieved 2012-08-15.
- "Album Review: Smashing Pumpkins – Oceania". Consequence of Sound. 2012-06-19. Retrieved 2012-08-15.
- Robinson, Iann (2012-06-20). "Review: Smashing Pumpkins – Oceania". CraveOnline. Archived from the original on 2012-06-22. Retrieved 2012-08-15.
- Heathcote, Charlotte. "Oceania – Smashing Pumpkins". Express. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- Jun, Haneen (2012-06-13). "Album Review: The Smashing Pumpkins – Oceania". Ology. Archived from the original on 2012-06-16. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- "The Smashing Pumpkins – Oceania (staff review)". Sputnikmusic. 2012-06-17. Retrieved 2012-06-24.
- Sterdan, Darryl (2012-06-17). "Pumpkins, Apple Top CD Reviews". Toronto Sun. Retrieved 2012-07-04.
- "Sales: Smashing Pumpkins, 'Oceania' – RedEye Chicago". Billboard. June 27, 2012. Retrieved 2012-06-30.
- Erickson, Anne. "Smashing Pumpkins' Oceania Scores High Billboard Debut". Billboard 200. Gibson Guitar Corporation. Archived from the original on March 29, 2013. Retrieved July 2, 2012.
- Moore, Brian (June 15, 2012). "Album review: Smashing Pumpkins, 'Oceania' – RedEye Chicago". Articles.redeyechicago.com. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- Anthony, Steven. "Smashing Pumpkins Oceania". Antiquiet. Retrieved June 18, 2012.
- Carrol, Grace. "Smashing Pumpkins Oceania". Gigwise. Retrieved June 18, 2012.
- Sterdan, Darryl. "Pumpkins, Apple top CD reviews". Toronto Sun. Canoe Sun Media. Retrieved 2012-06-13.
- Chiola, Enio. "The Smashing Pumpkins: Oceania (take 1)". PopMatters. Retrieved June 18, 2012.
- "The Smashing Pumpkins Oceania Album Review – 5 out of 5 stars – ARTISTdirect News". Artistdirect.com. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- Conner, Thomas (1999-02-22). "Review: Smashing Pumpkins, Oceania – Music: Via Chicago". Blogs.suntimes.com. Archived from the original on 2012-10-31. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- Nelson, Michael. "Smashing Pumpkins Oceania". Stereogum. Retrieved June 18, 2012.
- Gundersen, Edna (2012-06-18). "Smashing Pumpkins Oceania". USA Today. Retrieved June 19, 2012.
- Rytlewski, Evan. "Smashing Pumpkins Oceania". The A.V. Club. Retrieved June 19, 2012.
- Wade, Joe. "Smashing Pumpkins Oceania". Daily Nebraskan. Archived from the original on June 23, 2012. Retrieved June 18, 2012.
- Roffman, Michael. "Smashing Pumpkins Oceania". Consequence of Sound. Retrieved June 19, 2012.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20120628211844/http://www.spin.com/. Archived from the original on June 28, 2012. Retrieved June 29, 2012. Missing or empty
- Doherty, Charlie (2012-06-29). "Music Review: The Smashing Pumpkins – Oceania". seattlepi.com. Retrieved 2012-08-15.
- Menconi, David. "The Smashing Pumpkins, 'Oceania' - 50 Best Albums of 2012". Rollingstone.com. Retrieved 2015-03-15.
- Oceania (CD liner notes). The Smashing Pumpkins. EMI. 2012. CDV3102.CS1 maint: others (link)
- "Oceania – Smashing Pumpkins :: Credits". AllMusic. 2012-06-18. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- Roffman, Michael; Gerber, Justin; Schonfeld, Zach (November 20, 2018). "Ranking: Every Smashing Pumpkins Album from Worst to Best". Consequence of Sound. Retrieved February 4, 2020.
- "Australiancharts.com – The Smashing Pumpkins – Oceania". Hung Medien.
- "Austriancharts.at – The Smashing Pumpkins – Oceania" (in German). Hung Medien.
- "Ultratop.be – The Smashing Pumpkins – Oceania" (in Dutch). Hung Medien.
- "Ultratop.be – The Smashing Pumpkins – Oceania" (in French). Hung Medien.
- "Smashing Pumpkins Chart History (Canadian Albums)". Billboard.
- "Top Stranih [Top Foreign]" (in Croatian). Top Foreign Albums. Hrvatska diskografska udruga.
- "Danishcharts.dk – The Smashing Pumpkins – Oceania". Hung Medien.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – The Smashing Pumpkins – Oceania" (in Dutch). Hung Medien.
- "The Smashing Pumpkins: Oceania" (in Finnish). w:Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "Lescharts.com – The Smashing Pumpkins – Oceania". Hung Medien.
- "Longplay-Chartverfolgung at Musicline" (in German). Musicline.de. w:Phononet GmbH.
- "GFK Chart-Track Albums: Week 25, 2012". w:Chart-Track. IRMA.
- "Italiancharts.com – The Smashing Pumpkins – Oceania". Hung Medien.
- "Oricon Entertainment Encyclopedia - Album Rankings of Smashing Pumpkins". Oricon. Retrieved July 5, 2013.
- "Charts.nz – The Smashing Pumpkins – Oceania". Hung Medien.
- "Portuguesecharts.com – The Smashing Pumpkins – Oceania". Hung Medien.
- "Spanishcharts.com – The Smashing Pumpkins – Oceania". Hung Medien.
- "Swedishcharts.com – The Smashing Pumpkins – Oceania". Hung Medien.
- "Swisscharts.com – The Smashing Pumpkins – Oceania". Hung Medien.
- "Smashing Pumpkins | Artist | Official Charts". UK Albums Chart.
- "Smashing Pumpkins Chart History (Billboard 200)". Billboard.
- "Smashing Pumpkins Chart History (Top Rock Albums)". Billboard.
- "Smashing Pumpkins Chart History (Top Alternative Albums)". Billboard.
- "Smashing Pumpkins Chart History (Independent Albums)". Billboard.