Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (song)
|"Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness"|
|Instrumental by The Smashing Pumpkins|
|Released||October 23, 1995|
|Producer(s)||Billy Corgan, Flood, Alan Moulder|
"Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness" is the opening and title-track for The Smashing Pumpkins' third studio album, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. It was nominated for Best Pop Instrumental Performance at the 1997 Grammy Awards.
The "Nighttime version 1" variant as featured on the 2012 Mellon Collie reissue is the same chord progression and melody as the final ~40 seconds or so of "Thru the Eyes of Ruby". An inverted form of the song appears at the end of the album's final track, "Farewell and Goodnight".
Background[edit | edit source]
The song title, and incidentally the album, was devised as Billy Corgan was walking around Coney Island in 1991. An earlier version of the song, now known as "Infinite Sadness", was an outtake from the Siamese Dream sessions. That version, which is in a different key and features a full band arrangement, was released on the vinyl release of Mellon Collie and later on the 2013 reissue of The Aeroplane Flies High. In 1994, Corgan created the piano arrangement at his Sadlands home.
Videos[edit | edit source]
|Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness||Disc one – Dawn to Dusk||Studio|
|MCIS Demos I||Bootleg|
|Live Smashing Pumpkins||Live|
- Total plays:
- First performance: The Smashing Pumpkins 1996-01-02 at Phoenix Concert Theatre, Toronto, ON, CA (prerecorded)
- Last performance: The Smashing Pumpkins 2018-10-18 at Unipol Arena, Casalecchio di Reno, IT (prerecorded)
Personnel[edit | edit source]
Refers to the version on the Mellon Collie album.
- Billy Corgan – piano, string arrangement, production, engineering, mixing
- Dave Kresl – strings, engineering assistance
- Flood – production
- Alan Moulder – production, engineering, mixing
- Barry Goldberg – mixing assistance
- Chris Shepard – recording, engineering
- Howie Weinberg – mastering
References[edit | edit source]
- Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness 2012 re-issue liner notes