|Birth name||Linda Michelle Rowberry|
|Born||September 9, 1981|
|Artists||The Smashing Pumpkins, Billy Corgan, Djali Zwan, Spirits in the Sky, Jimmy Chamberlin Complex|
|Instruments||Keyboard, vocals, guitar, bass|
|Other associated acts||The Shadow Bureau, Bon Harris|
Linda Strawberry is an artist, director, editor and musician, best known as Billy Corgan's creative partner, and Creative Director for The Smashing Pumpkins, including the Shiny and Oh So Bright tour in 2018.
History[edit | edit source]
Strawberry first met Corgan through producer and engineer Bjorn Thorsrud, before meeting him face-to-face at the February 3, 2000 in-store Smashing Pumpkins show during the Resume the Pose tour. Their friendship grew, and she was on stage with the Pumpkins for the first time at the farewell show, providing vocals on "To Sheila".
Zwan[edit | edit source]
In 2001 she worked with Corgan and Djali Zwan (the second, acoustic incarnation of Corgan's Zwan project), appearing on the soundtrack to the movie Spun. She is the lead singer on the version of "Love to Love" on the album, becoming the first commercially released song to credit her. Around the same time, she joined Corgan, Jimmy Chamberlin and other guest musicians on the Bozo: 40 Years of Fun! program on June 12, 2001, providing keyboards.
Zwan's only album from 2003, Mary Star of the Sea, credits Strawberry as a production assistant. In 2004 she provided Jimmy Chamberlin Complex with backing vocals on "Lullabye" for their 2005 debut album, Life Begins Again.
Billy Corgan solo[edit | edit source]
Starting in June 2005, she joined Corgan on his solo TheFutureEmbrace world tour, providing keyboards and programming on 39 dates of the tour. She told Dark Party Review: "How I came to be on the solo tour was that I was recording in Chicago and there had been some turmoil with my record so we had dinner and he asked me if I wanted to take a break and see the world. Three weeks later, I was in Portugal standing in front of a $60,000 a week lighting board."
The Smashing Pumpkins[edit | edit source]
Come the mid-2020s, Strawberry was working regularly with The Smashing Pumpkins as a creative director. In 2015 she directed and edited the video for "Run2me", and produced, edited, and provided creative direction for 2018's "Silvery Sometimes (Ghosts)" music video. She went on to serve as the creative director for the band's 2018 Shiny and Oh So Bright tour, including photography for promo shoots. The tour proved a massive success that was well-received by fans.
Studio appearances[edit | edit source]
- 2001: "Love to Love" (Spun soundtrack by Djali Zwan) – vocals
- 2001: Bozo: 40 Years of Fun! (Bozo the Clown tribute show with Billy Corgan) – keyboards
- 2003: Mary Star of the Sea (Zwan) – production assistant
- 2005: "Lullabye" (Life Begins Again by Jimmy Chamberlin Complex) – backing vocals
Live[edit | edit source]
- 2005: TheFutureEmbrace tour (Billy Corgan) – keyboards, programming
- 2009: Spirits in the Sky – vocals
- 2018: Shiny and Oh So Bright tour (The Smashing Pumpkins) – creative director
Filmography[edit | edit source]
- 2017: Pillbox (Ogilala by Billy Corgan) – director, editor
- 2017: Neath The Darkest Eves (Ogilala by Billy Corgan) – director
Music videos[edit | edit source]
- 2015: "Run2me" (The Smashing Pumpkins) – director, editor
- 2017: "The Spaniards" (Billy Corgan) – direction, production, editing
- 2018: "Silvery Sometimes (Ghosts)" (The Smashing Pumpkins) – production, editing, creative direction
- 2020: "Cyr" (The Smashing Pumpkins) – direction, editing
- 2020: "Ramona" (The Smashing Pumpkins) – direction, editing
- Total shows:
- First performance: The Smashing Pumpkins 2000-12-02 at Metro, Chicago, IL, US
- Last performance: Billy Corgan 2019-11-06 at Lodge Room, Los Angeles, CA, US
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- "An Interview with Indie Rock Queen Linda Strawberry". Dark Party Review. May 29, 2008. Retrieved September 9, 2021.
- Moss, Carey (June 13, 2001). "Billy Corgan serenades Bozo the Clown". MTV News. Retrieved April 26, 2020.
- Linda Strawberry. "Linda Strawberry – Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 2012-08-27.
- "Traveling Troubadours Seek Pumpkins To Smash @ Antiquiet News". Antiquiet.com. August 27, 2009. Retrieved 2012-08-27.
- "Watch Billy Corgan's Psychedelic Silent Film Pillbox". Rollingstone.
- "Watch Billy Corgan's Solo Concert Film". Stereogum.
- "Watch the Smashing Pumpkins' Tarot-Inspired 'Run2Me' Video". October 22, 2015.
- Weingarten, Christopher. "Review: Smashing Pumpkins' 'Shiny and Oh So Bright, Vol. 1 / LP: No Past. No Future. No Sun' is Infinite, Sad". Rolling Stone. Retrieved September 9, 2021.
- "Smashing Pumpkins 2019 Europe Tour".