Backwards Clock Society
|Associated acts||The Smashing Pumpkins, The Electric Prunes, Catherine|
Backwards Clock Society was a single-show side project consisting of Billy Corgan of The Smashing Pumpkins, Mark Tulin of The Electric Prunes (bass), and long-time associate Kerry Brown of Catherine (drums). The band was formed to pay tribute to Laura Ann Masura, a former Smashing Pumpkins Fan Club chief, who suffered from a serious motorcycle accident. The performance took place at The Echoplex in Los Angeles on November 8, 2009. Future Smashing Pumpkins bass player Nicole Fiorentino was performing with opening act Light FM (who organized the event), and was pointed out to Corgan by Kerry Brown at this show. Fiorentino was enthused when asked about playing for The Smashing Pumpkins.
In a December 18, 2021 Instagram IGTV post, Masura joined pumpkintees to discuss the show. She said "Billy saved my life!", elaborating that the money raised was exactly the amount she needed to cover medical costs. Masura recalled Corgan saying he would have simply written her a check without playing a concert, but that he really wanted to do something special for her. Masura called him the "sweetest, most wonderful friend."
Personnel[edit | edit source]
- Billy Corgan (The Smashing Pumpkins) – vocals, guitar
- Mark Tulin (The Electric Prunes) – bass
- Kerry Brown (Catherine) – drums
Setlist[edit | edit source]
- "Tom Tom"
- "I've Got Levitation" (The 13th Floor Elevators cover)
- "Make It Happen"
- "When the Cocks Crow"
- "Plastic Fantastic Lover" (Jefferson Airplane cover)
- "Into the Light"
- "It Never Rains In Southern California" (Albert Hammond cover)
- "Little Girl" (The Beatles cover)
Videos[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Singh, Amrit. "Backwards Clock Society @ The Echoplex, Los Angeles 11/8/09". Stereogum. Retrieved May 1, 2020.
- "About Us - Laura Anns Jams". Retrieved May 1, 2020.
- Masura, Laura Ann. IGTV Live