|Studio album by|
|Released||September 9, 1997|
|Producer||Billy Corgan, Ric Ocasek|
Troublizing is a solo album by Ric Ocasek. Billy Corgan wrote, produced and co-sung the song "Asia Minor", and performed and/or produced several other songs on the album. Former Smashing Pumpkins bassist Melissa Auf der Maur also plays bass and sings on most of the album, as does Adore-era drummer Matt Walker, though neither performed on "Asia Minor".
Background[edit | edit source]
Ric Ocasek was the frontman for the rock band The Cars, and also worked as a producer for Weezer, Nada Surf, and No Doubt. Corgan and Ocasek's friendship began after they met at a gig at New York's Roseland Ballroom in 1996. Ocasek eventually approached Corgan about a collaboration. "I love his music. I think he's just such a musical genius, and I love his perspective on arrangements," he told Rolling Stone. They convened at Electric Lady Studios in New York to record Troublizing, accompanied by former Smashing Pumpkins bassist Melissa Auf der Maur and Adore-era drummer Matt Walker.
On September 15, 2019, Ocasek died of natural causes at the age of 75. Corgan wrote a tribute in an Instagram post, "Devastated to hear of the passing on this man, Ric Ocasek … It has brightened my spirit to see how many have posted about Ric, praising his originality, flair, and brilliance. I was blessed to have known him, through friendship and work (his solo album Troubilizing was one I produced)."
Critical reception[edit | edit source]
AllMusic reviewer Stephen Thomas Erlewine called Troublizing Ocasek's "best solo album since This Side of Paradise," adding that Corgan's production gave the album a heavier sound that relied on guitars. The A.V. Club called it "a vital album that recalls the driving rock of Ocasek's much-loved former group while sounding fresher than many acts currently being passed off as cutting-edge."
Track listing[edit | edit source]All tracks are written by Ric Ocasek, except where noted.
|1.||"The Next Right Moment"||4:21|
|2.||"Hang On Tight"||4:55|
|7.||"Fix On You"||3:01|
|8.||"People We Know"||3:37|
|9.||"Here We Go"||4:26|
|11.||"Asia Minor"||Billy Corgan||3:01|
Release history[edit | edit source]
|Released||Label||Catalog ID||Format||Country||External sites|
|September 9, 1997||Columbia||CK 67962||CD||US|||
Credits of interest[edit | edit source]
- Billy Corgan
- Songwriter – "Asia Minor"
- Producer – tracks 1, 3, 6-8, 11
- Guitar – tracks 1, 3, 6-8, 11
- Vocals, keyboards – tracks 3, 6, 8, 11
- Melissa Auf der Maur
- Bass, vocals – all except tracks 8 and 11
- Matt Walker
- Drums – tracks 2, 3, 6-8
References[edit | edit source]
- Colon, Suzan. "Ric Ocasek on Working With Billy Corgan for New Album, How He Invented Himself". Rolling Stone. Retrieved September 8, 2021.
- "Cause of death determined for the Cars singer Ric Ocasek". PIX 11 New York. Retrieved September 16, 2019.
- Martoccio, Angie. "Billy Corgan Pays Tribute to Ric Ocasek: 'Gonna Miss You Forever'". Rolling Stone. Retrieved September 8, 2021.
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. "Ric Ocasek: Troublizing". AllMusic. Retrieved February 7, 2011.
- "Ric Ocasek: Troublizing". Music.