SPCodex:In the news
May 14, 2021
- The Smashing Pumpkins announce their first tour date of 2021: Riot Fest in Chicago, scheduled for September 17-19. Other headliners include Nine Inch Nails and Run the Jewels.
May 14, 2021
May 5, 2021
- James Iha along with Tinted Windows members Taylor Hanson and Bun E. Carlos perform at a live stream tribute event for bassist Adam Schlesinger, who died of COVID-19 on April 1, 2020.
April 30, 2021
April 26, 2021
- The Smashing Pumpkins launch the #RamonaCanvasContest to create album art for the "Ramona" single. Winner will have their art featured on Spotify. Submissions are accepted until May 9.
April 8, 2021
March 30, 2021
- Billy Corgan confirms the Archives releases will be vinyl-only and available by pre-order once vinyl manufacturing issue is figured out.
- Corgan expects the Mellon Collie/Machina sequel to be finished in 5 to 7 months, with a new song released before the end of the year.
March 22, 2021
- Sumerian Records releases "Ramona" to radio.
March 15, 2021
March 8, 2021
- Jeff Schroeder, Jack Bates, his father Peter Hook, and Shane Graham do a livestream cover of New Order's "Ceremony" to benefit touring crews struggling financially from the pandemic.
March 1, 2021
February 23, 2021
February 11, 2021
February 16, 2021
- Twenty finalists for the CYR cover contest have been announced. Vote on your favorites by February 22 at cyrcontest
February 8, 2021
- Milwaukee's FM 102.1 is hosting a virtual tea party with Billy Corgan. Each day until then, one fan who entered the daily drawing will get to attend the tea party.
February 6, 2021
- The Butch Vig side project, 5 Billion in Diamonds, announces the limited edition double vinyl of their 2020 album Divine Accidents features a bonus track with Jimmy Chamberlin on drums
February 2, 2021
- The Smashing Pumpkins announce the CYR cover contest to win merchandise. Submissions are accepted until February 11
December 19, 2020
- Billy Corgan announces the Machina remix project has completed, and only needs mastering and artwork.
December 17, 2020
- The Smashing Pumpkins announce the 7 Days of CYR-mas giveaway. Each day a new way to win free merch is announced.
December 11, 2020
December 3, 2020
- Billy Corgan pays tribute to Alice in Chains by covering "Check My Brain" for the MoPOP Founders Award 2020 benefit show.
November 27, 2020
- The final episode of In Ashes is released exclusively on Apple Music.
November 24, 2020
- The animated music video for "Wyttch" is released, serving as the fourth episode of the In Ashes series.
November 21, 2020
November 20, 2020
- The Smashing Pumpkins release the final single from CYR, "Purple Blood" with "Dulcet in E" as the backing track.
November 13, 2020
October 30, 2020
- The Smashing Pumpkins release the fourth single from CYR, "Ramona", along with a music video. "Wyttch" served as an accompanying A-side.
October 22, 2020
- Billy Corgan announces The Smashing Pumpkins' plans to produce a 33-song concept album serving as a sequel to Mellon Collie (Zero) and Machina (Glass)
- Corgan announces the Machina re-issue is currently being remixed, with the newly tracked album at around 50–51 songs, excluding bonus material.
- Corgan announces the band's next tour will be a full production Mellon Collie-themed arena tour, though the album will not be played start-to-finish
October 16, 2020
- The Smashing Pumpkins announce those who pre-save CYR will be entered into a drawing to win a signed deluxe boxset of the album autographed by Billy Corgan.
October 2, 2020
- The Smashing Pumpkins launch an online archive portal where Corgan shares rare imagery throughout his career, with new installments to be released weekly
September 25, 2020
- The Smashing Pumpkins release episodes 1 and 2 of the In Ashes animation series
September 24, 2020
- Part 1 of the 25th anniversary of Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness begins with SP's collaboration with HUF. Most items sell out within hours and the site crashes from the surge of traffic.
September 18, 2020
- The Smashing Pumpkins announce their new double album with 20 songs, entitled CYR, due to be released on November 27.
- The band announces In Ashes, a 5-part animated series directed by Corgan. Episodes 1 & 2 to be released September 25.
August 28, 2020
August 26, 2020
- ritual.smashingpumpkins.com launches, with an interactive VR-style puzzle. Once completed, the user is emailed a discount code to the online store.
August 25, 2020
- A teaser of the new Smashing Pumpkins single surfaces, and music recognition software leaks the title as being "Cyr".
August 15, 2020
- Jimmy Chamberlin Complex release a single called "Humility", and announce a new album, Honor, to be released on September 25.
August 14, 2020
- smashingpumpkins.com now displays several countdown timers, presumably for upcoming Shiny Vol. 2 releases and perhaps the Machina re-issue.
July 21, 2020
- Billy Corgan reports that all original Smashing Pumpkins music videos will soon be re-released in HD format.
July 17, 2020
- A cover of "Tear" by The Garden of Earthly Delights is announced as the winner of the #AdoreMyCover contest.
July 9, 2020
- The #AdoreMyCover contest has been narrowed down to five finalists and fans are invited to vote for the winner. Voting closes on July 13.
June 14, 2020
June 8, 2020
- Due to concerns around the COVID-19 pandemic, The Smashing Pumpkins are forced to cancel the Rock Invasion 2 Tour.
June 6, 2020
- The Smashing Pumpkins are inviting fans to submit covers of Adore songs to mark the 22nd anniversary of its release. Winners will have their videos featured on official social channels and receive a merch prize pack or credits for the online store. 
June 1, 2020
- Billy Corgan releases a follow-up IGTV video to the recently released track-by-track deep dive of Gish.
May 29, 2020
- Billy Corgan releases a track-by-track deep dive of Gish, in honor of its 29th anniversary since being released in 1991.
April 30, 2020
- American indie rock band Sir Sly releases "All Your Love", co-written and co-produced by Billy Corgan, who also played the bass part.
April 22, 2020
- As of late April, many bootleg albums have appeared on streaming services. Because they are showing up in official SP channels, Billy informs fans they are not legitimate, nor has the audio quality been vetted.