Fiorentino at The Key Club on Sunset on July 21, 2007
|Birth name||Nicole Margaret Fiorentino|
|Born||April 7, 1979|
Ludlow, Massachusetts, United States
|Associated acts||The Smashing Pumpkins, Veruca Salt, The Cold and Lovely, Light FM, Radio Vago, v, Twilight Sleep|
Nicole Margaret Fiorentino (born April 7, 1979) was a former bassist for The Smashing Pumpkins (replacing Ginger Pooley and her temporary replacement Mark Tulin). She became an official member in 2010. She performs on the band's third Teargarden by Kaleidyscope EP (2011) and subsequent album Oceania (2012). Fiorentino departed the band in 2014.
Biography[edit | edit source]
Prior to joining the Smashing Pumpkins, she was a member of Radio Vago, Chicago alternative act Veruca Salt, Spinnerette, Twilight Sleep, and Light FM, the last of which opened for Billy Corgan's one-off band Backwards Clock Society in November 2009.
Within a February 17, 2011 post on The Smashing Pumpkins' Facebook page, Fiorentino claimed she was one of the girls on the cover of the Pumpkins' 1993 album Siamese Dream. Although it was received by many fans to have been in jest, several news sources and a portion of the fan community believed this to be a genuine claim. Rolling Stone suggested that Corgan had "decided to pull a Twitter prank". Former SmashingPumpkins.com webmaster, Paul Friemel, later claimed that both cover models had been located in 2007 and that neither was Fiorentino.
In September 2014, Corgan stated in an interview with Alternative Nation that both Fiorentino and bandmate Mike Byrne were no longer members of The Smashing Pumpkins, citing different levels of commitment to the Smashing Pumpkins. However, Fiorentino and Corgan remain on amicable terms.
Discography[edit | edit source]
With The Smashing Pumpkins
- Total shows:
- First performance: The Smashing Pumpkins 2010-05-29 at Coldwater Studios, Los Angeles, CA, US
- Last performance: The Smashing Pumpkins 2013-08-17 at Sepang International Circuit, Sepang, MY
References[edit | edit source]
- "The Smashing Pumpkins Announce New Member, Bassist Nicole Fiorentino Archived 15 March 2012 at the w:Wayback Machine". Press release. SmashingPumpkins.com. May 10, 2010.
- Goodman, William. "Smashing Pumpkins Reveal New Band Member". Spin Magazine Online. May 11, 2010.
- Various Authors."Bassist Nicole Was on Cover of Siamese Dream – Netphoria Message Board". Thread on fansite forum. Netphoria.com. 2011-18-02.
- "Nicole one of the SD Girls? – The Smashing Pumpkins Forum". Archived from the original on April 28, 2012. Retrieved February 18, 2011.
- Gomez, Ricardo; Mapes, Jillian; Peoples, Glen; Rutherford, Kevin."Billboard Bits: Paramore Eyes Summertime for New Music, Pete Wentz ?Couldn?t Trust? Ashlee Simpson | Billboard.com". Online. Billboard.com. 2011-18-02.
- Greene, Andy."Is the New Smashing Pumpkins Bassist on the Cover Of 'Siamese Dream'? | Rolling Stone Music". Online. Rolling Stone.com. 2011-18-02.
- "Pumpkins' former employee: We found "Siamese Dream" girls in '07 « Hipsters United". Archived from the original on February 28, 2011. Retrieved February 24, 2011.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on February 11, 2015. Retrieved October 6, 2014.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)