|Song by The Smashing Pumpkins|
|Producer(s)||Billy Corgan, Jimmy Chamberlin|
"Doomsday Clock" is a song by The Smashing Pumpkins, and is the opening track on their album Zeitgeist. Although not released as a single, the song charted on the Billboard Hot 100 and the Pop 100, due to digital sales.
It was released on iTunes for immediate download along with the pre-order for the album on June 19, 2007.
It is also included on the soundtrack for the 2007 Transformers movie. The song appears twice in the film: once as an instrumental-only version during a climactic action sequence, and the second time as a song over the closing credits. It's also heard in the second trailer for the 2008 Marvel Studios movie The Incredible Hulk.
In early 2008, "Doomsday Clock" was licensed to the professional wrestling outfit Ring of Honor for use as the theme song of the taped pay-per-view, ROH Undeniable. It is also now used in Monster Jam as the theme song for a truck called Wrecking Crew.
|“||If you want to understand the Doomsday Clock inspiration, its simple...I'm an American. Being an American right now, that is my experience. I feel like I'm watching something ticking down...I don't know what's ticking down, I don't know why its ticking down, I don't know who is moving the hands on the clock....but I certainly feel like an observer.||”|
|— Billy Corgan, AT&T Blue Room, July 2007|
Chart positions[edit | edit source]
|U.S. Billboard Pop 100||81|
|US Billboard Hot 100||97|
|UK Singles Downloads (OCC)||185|
See also[edit | edit source]
- Doomsday Clock on Wikipedia
|Transformers: The Album||Compilation|
|Zeitgeist||Original issue (Red cover)||Studio|
- Total plays:
- First performance: The Smashing Pumpkins 2007-05-05 at Congress Theater, Chicago, IL, US (soundcheck)
- First full performance: The Smashing Pumpkins 2007-05-22 at Le Grand Rex, Paris, FR
- Last performance: The Smashing Pumpkins 2008-03-22 at Vector Arena, Auckland, NZ
References[edit | edit source]
- Mitchum, Rob (July 9, 2007). "The Smashing Pumpkins Zeitgeist". Pitchfork. Retrieved November 20, 2012.
Songs like "Doomsday Clock" and "Tarantula" wave the flag of stoner rock like Black Sabbath and Blue Oyster Cult without embarrassment, and could likely pass for Queens of the Stone Age if it wasn't for that characteristic Corgan whine.
- Chamberlin, Jimmy and Billy Corgan. (Interview subjects) "Smashing Pumpkins - Zeitgeist Track by Track Archived 2007-12-22 at the w:Wayback Machine" (video).
- "ROH & Smashing Pumpkins Reach Partnership". ROHwrestling.com. 2007-01-16. Archived from the original on 2008-01-20. Retrieved 2008-01-18.
- "SMASHING PUMPKINS' 'Doomsday Clock' To Be Featured On 'Undeniable' PPV Archived January 21, 2008, at the w:Wayback Machine". BlabberMouth.net. 2008-01-18.
- "The Smashing Pumpkins Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Official Singles Downloads Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.