Welcome to SPCodex
The Smashing Pumpkins wiki
Help us build the world's largest knowledge base for The Smashing Pumpkins and related acts!
The Aeroplane Flies High is a five-disc box set released in 1996, containing expanded versions of all five Mellon Collie singles. Rolling Stone wrote "There is no filler here. These supposedly second-string tracks [to Mellon Collie] are keepers" and that "the ballads are as gorgeous as anything Corgan has ever written". The 2013 reissue delivered an astounding 90 additional tracks and a bonus DVD. The box reached number 42 on the Billboard charts, and sold 300,000 units (1.5 million discs), generating a platinum status.
"X.Y.U." is one of the heaviest songs from The Smashing Pumpkins' third studio album, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. The song was recorded in one take, live for the record with drum and vocal overdubs added later. The title means "Ex, Why You?", but is also a play on the spelling of Russian obscene word "хуй" (pronounced "hu:i") that is translated as "penis". Other versions of the song exists, such as "X.Y.U. (Take II)", and the extended "X.Y.U. Medley" performed on October 31, 1998 which bundled in teasers of "The Ethers Tragic", "Where Boys Fear to Tread" and "Never Say Never" (by Romeo Void).
- ...that a cheat code in the game Doom is a reference to a 1993 Usenet joke called Smashing Pumpkins Into Small Piles Of Putrid Debris (SPISPOPD), and this is reason the Doom explosion sound was sampled in "Where Boys Fear to Tread"?
- ...that Billy Corgan briefly worked with basketball superstar and rapper Shaquille O'Neal? Corgan began work on a track loosely inspired by Dr. Dre, but the collaboration fell through. The drumbeats that survived were used in "Eye", which appeared on the Lost Highway soundtrack.
- ...that a music video was recorded for "I Am One" in 1992, but because the band was unhappy with the results, it wasn't released until 2001 on the Greatest Hits Video Collection?
- ...that Gish was named after silent film icon Lillian Gish? In an interview, Corgan said his grandmother told him "one of the biggest things that ever happened was when Lillian Gish rode through town on a train".
- ...that months prior to Zeitgeist's release, two thieves broke into the band's rehearsal space, stole photographs of the album booklet artwork and leaked them online? They were arrested by Chicago Police and charged with felony burglary.
September 18, 2020
- The Smashing Pumpkins announce their new double album with 20 songs, entitled CYR, due to be released on November 27.
- The band announces In Ashes, a 5-part animated series directed by Corgan. Episodes 1 & 2 to be released September 25.
August 28, 2020
August 26, 2020
- ritual.smashingpumpkins.com launches, with an interactive VR-style puzzle. Once completed, the user is emailed a discount code to the online store.
August 25, 2020